Amanda-Users

Backups that don't fit on the tape....

2004-02-12 05:24:46
Subject: Backups that don't fit on the tape....
From: Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt AT acu.ac DOT uk>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:21:16 +0000
Hi,

I run two configs with Amanda, one that does incremental backups, and
one (month end) where all the filesystems get a level 0. In the latter
case, I'm getting tape errors as a result of running out of space. This
isn't entirely unreasonable, and I'm not expecting the list to send me a
bigger tape driver :-), but AFAICT, the amount of data I'm attemptiong
to write to the drive is less than the capacity of the tape, so I'm a
bit mystified as to why it's failing.

To give an actual example:-

Tape driver is a Quantum DLT7000, with DLT IV media. Native capacity
should be 35Gb, and I'm running Amanda with host based compression, and
compression switched off on the drive. The tapetype definition is:-

define tapetype DLT-7000 {
    comment "Quantum Bluedisc Digital Linear Tape 7000"
    length 35000 mbytes
    filemark 8 kbytes
    speed 1250 kbytes
}

A listing of the output size to tape:-

Dump Time (hrs:min)        6:39       6:39       0:00
Output Size (meg)       31855.4    31855.4        0.0
Original Size (meg)     66922.0    66922.0        0.0
Avg Compressed Size (%)    47.6       47.6        --
Filesystems Dumped           16         16          0
Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      1362.4     1362.4        --

So I'm wondering why I can't get ~32Gb of data onto a 35Gb tape. I'm a
bit suspicious that the tapetype may be causing problems - 8 KB filemark
seems very low. I can't actually remember where the tapetype definition
originated....

I could run tapetype on the drive, but that's likely to take some time,
and I was hoping someone might be able to give me a quick fix...

Mike.