Amanda-Users

Re: Problem configure the changer...

2004-02-05 10:54:42
Subject: Re: Problem configure the changer...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, <Ilya.Basin AT ionip DOT ru>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:51:56 -0500
On Thursday 05 February 2004 09:02, Ilya Basin wrote:
>Hi!
>Could you please help me with the conf of Amanda?
>I don't understand where did I make an error in the
> configuration....
>
>I receive the error:
>amanda@bkpsrv01:/etc/amanda/Daily01$ /usr/libexec/chg-zd-mtx -status
><none> changerfile must be specified in amanda.conf
>
>But when i test the MTX (ZD for source forge):
>amanda@bkpsrv01:/etc/amanda/Daily01$ /usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg2
> status Storage Changer /dev/sg2:2 Drives, 61 Slots ( 1
> Import/Export ) Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
>Data Transfer Element 1:Empty
>      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=MSK001
>      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=MSK002
>      Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=MSK003
>      Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=MSK004
>      Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=MSK005
>      Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=MSK006
>      Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=MSK007
>      Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=MSK008
>      Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=MSK009
>      Storage Element 10:Full :VolumeTag=MSK010
>      Storage Element 11:Full :VolumeTag=MSK011
>      Storage Element 12:Full :VolumeTag=MSK012
>      Storage Element 13:Full :VolumeTag=MSK013
>      Storage Element 14:Full :VolumeTag=MSK014
>      Storage Element 15:Full :VolumeTag=MSK015
>      Storage Element 16:Full :VolumeTag=MSK016
>      Storage Element 17:Full :VolumeTag=MSK017
>      Storage Element 18:Full :VolumeTag=MSK018
>      Storage Element 19:Full :VolumeTag=MSK019
>      Storage Element 20:Full :VolumeTag=MSK020
>      Storage Element 21:Full :VolumeTag=CLN001
>      Storage Element 22:Full :VolumeTag=CLN002
>      Storage Element 23:Empty
>      Storage Element 24:Empty
>      Storage Element 25:Empty
>      Storage Element 26:Empty
>      Storage Element 27:Empty
>      Storage Element 28:Empty
>      Storage Element 29:Empty
>      Storage Element 30:Empty
>      Storage Element 31:Empty
>      Storage Element 32:Empty
>      Storage Element 33:Empty
>      Storage Element 34:Empty
>      Storage Element 35:Empty
>      Storage Element 36:Empty
>      Storage Element 37:Empty
>      Storage Element 38:Empty
>      Storage Element 39:Empty
>      Storage Element 40:Empty
>      Storage Element 41:Empty
>      Storage Element 42:Empty
>      Storage Element 43:Empty
>      Storage Element 44:Empty
>      Storage Element 45:Empty
>      Storage Element 46:Empty
>      Storage Element 47:Empty
>      Storage Element 48:Empty
>      Storage Element 49:Empty
>      Storage Element 50:Empty
>      Storage Element 51:Empty
>      Storage Element 52:Empty
>      Storage Element 53:Empty
>      Storage Element 54:Empty
>      Storage Element 55:Empty
>      Storage Element 56:Empty
>      Storage Element 57:Empty
>      Storage Element 58:Empty
>      Storage Element 59:Empty
>      Storage Element 60:Empty
>      Storage Element 61 IMPORT/EXPORT:Empty

Only 20 tapes as both drives report they are empty?

>Here there are two my files...
>/etc/amanda/Daily01/amanda.conf:
>
>org "Daily01"
>mailto "amanda"
>dumpuser "amanda"
>inparallel 4
>netusage  600 Kbps
>dumpcycle 4 weeks
>runspercycle 20
>
>tapecycle 25 tapes

One really should have at least 2x runspercycle * runtapes in the
tapecycle, unless your data isn't worth much :)  Ask yourself what
happens if the last good backup of that item was on the tape you just
reused, that tape is now bad and can't be read, and the system needs
a bare metal recovery.  With runspercycle * runtapes * 2 tapes in the
tapecycle, you at least can back up to the previous backup and won't
have to restart your business from scratch.

>runtapes 2
>tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"
>tapedev "0"
>changerdev /dev/sg2
>changerfile "/etc/amanda/Daily01/chg-zd-mtx"
>
>tapetype DLT7000
>labelstr "^MSK[0-9][0-9]*$"
>
>define tapetype DLT7000 {
>    comment "DLT tape drives"
>    length 35000 mbytes     # 35 Gig tapes
>    filemark 8 kbytes       # I don't know what this means
>    speed 10 mbytes         # 10 Mb/s
>}
>
>/etc/amanda/Daily01/chg-zd-mtx.conf:
>number_configs          2
>eject                   1       # Tapedrives need an eject command
>sleep                   90      # Seconds to wait until the tape
> gets ready cleanmax                100     # How many times could a
> cleaning tape get used
>changerdev              /dev/sg2
>

>#
># Next comes the data for drive 0
>#
>config                  0
>drivenum                0
>dev                     /dev/nst0

>scsitapedev             /dev/st0
I believe this should be the same as the drive itself, eg
non-rewinding, or /dev/nst0

>driveslot               0
>startuse                1       # The slots associated with the
> drive 0 enduse                  10      #
>statfile                /etc/amanda/dailuyset/tape0-slot  # The file
> where the
>actual slot is stored
>autoclean               25
>cleancart               5       # the slot where the
> cleaningcartridge for drive 0 is located
>cleanslot               21
>havereader              1
>offline_before_unload   1
>unloadpause             15
>poll_drive_ready        5
>max_drive_wait          120
>initial_poll_delay      10
>cleanfile       /etc/amanda/DailySet01/tape0-clean # The file where
> the cleanings are recorded
>usagecount      /etc/amanda/DailySet01/totaltime0
>tapestatus      /etc/amanda/DailySet01/tapestatus0 # here will some
> status infos be stored
>labelfile       /etc/amanda/DailySet01/labelfile0 # Use this if you
> have an barcode reader
>
>#
># Next comes the data for drive 1
>#
>config                  1
>drivenum                1
>dev                     /dev/nst1
>scsitapedev             /dev/st1
Same comment applies here, I beliieve it should /dev/nst1
>driveslot               0
>startuse                11      # The slots associated with the
> drive 0 enduse                  20      #
>statfile                /etc/amanda/dailuyset/tape1-slot  # The file
> where the
>actual slot is stored
>autoclean               25
>cleancart               5       # the slot where the
> cleaningcartridge for drive 0 is located
>cleanslot               22
>havereader              1
>offline_before_unload   1
>unloadpause             15
>poll_drive_ready        5
>max_drive_wait          120
>initial_poll_delay      10
>cleanfile       /etc/amanda/DailySet01/tape1-clean # The file where
> the cleanings are recorded
>usagecount      /etc/amanda/DailySet01/totaltime1
>tapestatus      /etc/amanda/DailySet01/tapestatus1 # here will some
> status infos be stored
>labelfile       /etc/amanda/DailySet01/labelfile1 # Use this if you
> have an barcode reader
>

>Ilya Basin
>WideXs Svyaz llc, an ionip company
>System Engineer
>
>Email:   Ilya.Basin AT ionip DOT ru
>Mobile: +7 095 1051217
>Phone: +7 095 7979160
>Fax:     +7 095 7979161
>
>http://www.widexs.ru

amcheck is your best friend here, and should be able to tell you what
else might be wrong.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: