Amanda-Users

RE: Problem with amflush

2004-02-02 04:33:21
Subject: RE: Problem with amflush
From: Postaremczak Bernd <Bernd.Postaremczak AT SMS-Eumuco DOT de>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:25:59 +0100
John LaBadie wrotes:

> That report suggests to me that there were no "partitions" to dump.
>
> You noted it has been running for an hour.  When I run amflush,
> there is an interactive Q&A session that, after I give the final
> confirmation, shifts amflush to the background noting it will send
> me a mail message when completed.  Is that what you saw too?

Yes, if i start amflush without -f option, then he asks me this way and I
see the same output.

> Did you get a mail message?  What were its contents?

"amflush failed" or something like this. This don't make me wonder, because
I killed the amflush-process. I needed the taper for the next backup at
night and wanted to leave off work ;-).

> Do you have things to flush?  amflush, during the Q&A, shows what
> amdumps might be available for flushing.  If you go to the holding
> disk, are there files for dumping there?

Maybe that's the problem. There are not really flushable things. But why is
there no error-message and it runs and runs and runs and runs ...? This make
me worry. Our amanda-version is 2.4.3-4.

> Do you think that you have something to flush because an amdump
> report said (IIRC) "some dumps MAY have been left in the
> holding disk".
> Note that "MAY", it is a key word.  There 'may not' have been anything
> left either.  At the point amanda adds that info to the amdump report
> it can't tell.
>
> Did you run an amdump since the problem run?  I ask as there is an
> "autoflush" option in amanda.conf that causes anything that needs
> flushing to be flushed at the start of the next amdump run.

The autoflush-option is set to "no", because we would have problems with our
backup-strategy.

Thanks for help. I will see, how amanda works next times.

Best regards

Bernd