Amanda-Users

Re: Can't open exclude file ???

2004-01-28 11:41:05
Subject: Re: Can't open exclude file ???
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:39:20 -0600
* Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> [2004:01:28:11:08:19-0500] scribed:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:52:41AM -0600, Michael D Schleif wrote:
<snip />

> > Ironically, I do _not_ need any exclude file for this DLE.  Initially, I
> > did not have any exclude file, and amcheck issued the _same_ error.
> > Then, I touched an empty exclude file, resulting in the same error.  For
> > my original post, I included two temporary directories in the exclude
> > file.
> >
> > Regarding perms:
> >
> >    # ls -adl /usr
> >    drwxr-xr-x   16 root     root         4096 Oct  6 14:15 /usr
> >
> >    # ls -adl /usr/local/home
> >    drwxrwsr-x    7 root     staff        4096 Jan 16 21:17 /usr/local/home
> >
> >    # ls -adl /usr/local/home/mds
> >    drwxr-xr-x   44 mds      mds          8192 Jan 28 09:07
> > /usr/local/home/mds
> >
> >    # ls -adl /usr/local/home/mds/mail
> >    drwx------   19 mds      mds          4096 Jan 28 01:00
> > /usr/local/home/mds/mail
>          ^^^^^^
>
> When amcheck looks for the exclude file, unless it is running with root
> privleges
> or as mds, it will not be able to visit this directory.  During the amcheck
> run
> your host is both server and client.  When amcheck goes out to the client, it
> loses
> its root privleges and runs as the amanda user.  For this one you may need to
> put the exclude file somewhere else the amanda user can visit and specify an
> absolute directory path to the file.

OK, now it makes sense to me -- mostly.

I have reviewed my permission requirements, and I can live with this:

   # ls -adl /usr/local/home/mds/mail
   drwxr-xr-x   19 mds      mds          4096 Jan 28 10:29
/usr/local/home/mds/mail

This allows amcheck to run _without_ errors, even _without_
/usr/local/home/mds/mail/.amanda.excludes , which is what I wanted.

Nonetheless, I remain confused, since conf uses:

   exclude list optional ".amanda.excludes"

So, even though it is `optional', amcheck *must* have permissions
adequate to see whether or not the `optional' file exists?

Would that condition impact the actual backup itself?  Or, since it runs
as superuser, it would have access to the exclude file, and everything
would be OK?

Am I getting closer to understanding this?

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource