Amanda-Users

Re: Can't open exclude file ???

2004-01-28 10:30:09
Subject: Re: Can't open exclude file ???
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:28:28 -0500
On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:07:34AM -0600, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> This does *not* appear to be Gene's problem of several days ago.
>
> Yesterday, I reconfigured some disk, and reconfigured amanda to work
> with the disk changes.
>
> For nearly one year, I have used the following as a top level dumptype,
> from which all others inherit:
>
>    define dumptype global {
>        comment "dat tapedrive, gnu tar"
>        compress none
>        exclude list optional ".amanda.excludes"
>        holdingdisk yes
>        index yes
>        priority medium
>        program "GNUTAR"
>        record yes
>    }
>
> Notice the `exclude list optional' line.
>
> So, last night, I added the second line to the following:
>
>    bragi.private.network / server-compress
>    bragi.private.network /home/mds/mail important-fast-compress
>    bragi.private.network /home/mds/tmp medium-fast-compress
>    bragi.private.network /usr important-fast-compress
>
> Now, since this addition, I get this:
>
>    # sudo -u backup amcheck DailySet1 -cltw
>    Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>    -----------------------------
>    Holding disk /space: 3704388 KB disk space available, using 3704388 KB
>    Tape backup.015 is writable
>    Tape backup.015 label ok
>    Server check took 39.313 seconds
>
>    Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>    --------------------------------
>    ERROR: bragi.private.network: [Can't open exclude file
> '/usr/local/home/mds/mail/.amanda.excludes': Permission denied]
>    Client check: 2 hosts checked in 7.134 seconds, 1 problem found
>
>    (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p1)
>

> Notice the _working_ exclude under /usr:
>
>    # ls -l /usr/local/home/mds/mail/.amanda.excludes
>    -rw-------    1 backup   backup         59 Jan 28 01:00
> /usr/local/home/mds/mail/.amanda.excludes
>
>    # ls -l /usr/.amanda.excludes
>    -rw-------    1 backup   backup         23 Aug  4 09:33
> /usr/.amanda.excludes
>

> When I comment OUT the `exclude list optional' line from conf, then I
> get *NO* amcheck errors -- which is what I did for last night's backup.
>
> What is the problem here?
>
> What is the solution to that problem?
>
> What do you think?

Check the permissions on the mail directory, or possibly - but unlikely,
the directories above it.

IIRC, amcheck does not run with the same root permissions as amdump.
Thus it may not be able to get to the excluce file during an amcheck.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)