Amanda-Users

Re: Urgent help needed, degraded mode, tapes too small ?

2004-01-27 06:56:32
Subject: Re: Urgent help needed, degraded mode, tapes too small ?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:54:30 +0100
Hi, Oliver,

on Dienstag, 27. Jänner 2004 at 12:32 you wrote to amanda-users:

OS> This smorning we got the problem, that many servers were backuped in
OS> "degraded mode (host /disk lev 1 FAILED)". I think this means, the
OS> defined hdd-tapes became too small, right ?

"Degraded" means that there was no or the wrong tape in.
Maybe somthing in your setup went wrong.

Do you use chg-disk (just for the record) ?

OS> 1) We have 17 tapes defined each one with 75000 MB.
OS> Can I expand this to 100000 MB without loosing the current backups ?

Yes.

OS> 2) What other options do I have ? Last night, the backups partial ran in
OS> degraded mode, will amanda try again to do those dumps additional to the
OS> normal run, will it continue normally, or what ?

It will try to do the full backups ASAP.
AMANDA is designed to balance your backups.
Expanding the size of your vtapes will help her to meet your goals.

OS> 3) What if I remove some entries from the disklist ? Will amanda
OS> recognize the removed parts although these could not be backuped fine
OS> last night ?

How should AMANDA recognize something that has been removed?

OS> Some of the data could be removed from the disklist, until
OS> we get the new backup-servers and raids to backup to, but until that, we
OS> still need to do a backup .. !? Backup needs about 4 1/2 hours by now,
OS> if amanda would also try to do something from last night, we will run
OS> into some problems ...

Expand the size of your tapes if possible.

Set the not-so-important data to a higher dumpcycle-value if that is
not enough.

For shorter dumptime you could try to increase parallelism.
We should know more about your setup and config to help you with that.

--

Du kannst mich auch offlist auf deutsch kontaktieren.

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger