Amanda-Users

Re: Recover from multiple dumps per day

2004-01-26 19:29:25
Subject: Re: Recover from multiple dumps per day
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:28:04 -0500
On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 04:41:25PM -0700, Marc Langlois wrote:
> We would like to be able to recover accidentally deleted files from
> amanda backups that are made more than once per day, so I'm running
> amdump from cron every 2 hours during working hours. This seems to work
> fine with the file driver, and with 20 "tape" slots a full backup is
> done at least once every 2 days.
>
> The problem I'm having is that when I retrieve a file or directory,
> amrecover doesn't seem to be able to access the most recent backup. I've
> tried using the "setdate" command to both <today> and <tomorrow>, but it
> only displays information about the last backup from <yesterday>. All
> the man pages I've seen only list dates to the nearest day, but is it
> possible to use a finer time resolution?

I think that could be considered a flaw in design.

Amanda was certainly designed around a model of one run a day,
not multiple runs.  Nothing prevents multiple runs, but I think
you are seeing the result of that design model.

Maybe someone has a workaround.  Though I've not heard of one.
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)