Amanda-Users

Re: Recover from multiple dumps per day

2004-01-26 19:23:02
Subject: Re: Recover from multiple dumps per day
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:21:18 +0100
Hi, Marc,

on Dienstag, 27. Jänner 2004 at 00:41 you wrote to amanda-users:

ML> The problem I'm having is that when I retrieve a file or directory,
ML> amrecover doesn't seem to be able to access the most recent backup. I've
ML> tried using the "setdate" command to both <today> and <tomorrow>, but it
ML> only displays information about the last backup from <yesterday>. All
ML> the man pages I've seen only list dates to the nearest day, but is it
ML> possible to use a finer time resolution?

AFAIK AMANDA is designed to amdump once per day maximum. Everything
else confuses scheduling.

--

I provide a similar functionality to the users by doing "snapshots",
done by a combination of find and tar ...

The script tars the files that have been modified in the last X (3) hours
to a stamped and zipped archive that can be accessed by the users via
standard-packers. This script is run by cron every Y (2) hours.

Snapshots are backed up by AMANDA and deleted after a week or so.
So the users can access their changed files without having to handle
or even understand things like amrecover.

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger