Amanda-Users

Re: Extracting amanda tapes without amanda ...

2004-01-24 13:33:56
Subject: Re: Extracting amanda tapes without amanda ...
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:28:20 -0500
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:17:43PM +1100, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:

> I try next week to write a little shell script which takes the
> *first* 32 block, dumps it to a file, reads is, and starts writing on the
> first
> zero, appends the TOC (as in tar location/filemarks/date) making sure not
> writing past the 32K and dumps it back to to the tape.
> I think using a "mt -f /dev/tape rewind" or "mt -f /dev/tape asf 0"
> should me put me onto the beginning of the header block.
> Then I will check whether AMANDA still recognises this tape as an
> AMANDA tape ...

What you will know if whether it works on YOUR setup.
Your findings will not generalize to someone else's.
Different tape formats (DLT, AIT, DDS[234], ...)
may all react differently.  And I don't know if there
is an impact from the tape driver in the OS.  If so
that may influence things also.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)