Amanda-Users

Re: Extracting amanda tapes without amanda ...

2004-01-23 09:50:45
Subject: Re: Extracting amanda tapes without amanda ...
From: Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com>
To: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst AT barrett.com DOT au>
Date: 23 Jan 2004 09:48:21 -0500
The information for the index is not available until the end, since
file order on tape is dynamic depending on what actually works and in
what order it completes.

  Ie: when amanda starts writing it writes a zero filled 32k
  block to the second file and when its finshed doing all the
  work put a file in there containing

Tapes (in general) do not work this way; you can't write at thbe
beginning without trashing the rest.  Now, if you used a DECtape, you
could, since they have a formatting track that is not rewritten
normally, but they are only 184 KW (12 bit words).  (You can even swap
to DECtape - I've seen this and it's amazingly cool, but a bit slow.)
But seriously, I'm not aware of modern tapes with such a formatting
track - DDS certainly doesn't have it.  (If it did, the capacity would
be known precisely, but it would be lower.)  See
http://www.pdp8.net/tu56/tu56.shtml if you are into retrocomputing for
info about this tape drive.

But seriously:

What I would do is to simply read the entire tape, one file at a time,
and store it on a big disk.  If I don't have amanda, it usually means
my backup server is hosed, so I want to get the bits off tape onto a
second place the _very first time_ the head passes over them, since
you never know how many passes you'll get before failure.  I'm just
being paranoid, but this is a Murphy's Law sort of situation.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com>