Amanda-Users

Re: Extracting amanda tapes without amanda ...

2004-01-23 06:34:11
Subject: Re: Extracting amanda tapes without amanda ...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:32:21 -0500
On Friday 23 January 2004 03:38, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
>> When you want to extract tapes from a tape WITHOUT using amanda
>> how do you know which file a particular archive is located?
>
>I print out a postscript label, generated by amreport, and store it
>in the tapecasette.  Some people use "amtoc" to generated a listing.
>And there is the (slower) command "amrestore ConFig NoSuchHost",
>or even a loop in shell using only dd and mt.  Scanning the
>headers does not take as long as reading the complete tape.

I forgot to comment on this in my previous message.

I did do that, for a short amount of time only.  I had some tape
failures that I felt were related to the paper dust debris getting
into the tape and stopped.  One could tape it to the outside of the
cassette carrier I suppose, but that eventually gets tape gooey all
over.  If I were that good a record keeper, I'd use 3hole.ps and keep
a journal in a 3 ring binder.  But I'm not a great record keeper...

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: