Amanda-Users

Re: 3ware 8506-4 raid1 hotswap

2004-01-23 08:17:08
Subject: Re: 3ware 8506-4 raid1 hotswap
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "R.M. Evers" <amanda AT hbh-it DOT nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:14:37 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 at 8:39am, R.M. Evers wrote

> next week, i will be configuring a backup server running Debian,
> equipped with a 3ware 8506-4 ide-raid controller. the idea is to run a
> raid1 configuration, allowing for how-swapping of drives as backups.
> amanda will be using the file driver. does anyone have experience with
> the 3ware controllers? i would like to know how the hot-swap process is
> done. is it as simple as pulling a disk out, and putting one back in? or
> are there some configuration steps involved?

This is pretty OT for this list.  You really want linux-ide-arrays or
linux-raid.  But, yes, I have several 3ware controllers.  All mine run
RAID5 w/ a hot spare.  Rebuilds to the hot spare happen immediately upon a
failure.  Once you've replaced the bad disk, you need to mark it as a hot
spare using 3dmd.

That's all using hardware RAID.  Software RAID would work too, but I'm not
sure of the steps involved.  And make sure your drive chassis supports hot
swap.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering