Amanda-Users

Re: tapes looking their Amanda labels

2004-01-16 11:53:44
Subject: Re: tapes looking their Amanda labels
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: "Amanda List (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:51:51 -0500
On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 09:33:37AM -0500, Henson, George Mr JMLFDC wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a HP Sure Store E Silo (20 slots/2 LTO Gen 1 Drives) connected to my
> HP/UX 11i server with amanda-2.4.4 installed. I wrote an Amanda label to
> every tape in the silo. Last night my backup asked for Tape Daily000012. The
> changer (mtx) loaded the tape (which I had labeled Daily000012), but the tape
> had no Amanda label on it.

Line breaks would be appreciated.

I see no indication that you have confirmed that
there is or is not a label on the tape at this time;
just that last nights run did not find it.

Have you tried amtape to load the tape and then the
amtape "current" command to show what label is there if any?

Or have you tried doing a dd of a single 32K block at the
start of the tape (that is where the label is located).

Has Daily000012 ever been used by amanda before so that
you are sure it once had a label?

Labels with long strings of repeating chars can be a
problem to type.  Is the number of zeros consistant
everywhere they should be (4 zeros in your message).

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)