Amanda-Users

setting up a dump cycle

2004-01-16 11:47:31
Subject: setting up a dump cycle
From: Eugen Leitl <el AT infochem DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:44:37 +0100
I have a set of machines file systems which are bigger than the size
of a single tape (I don't know for sure, just trying to get my bearings
in those STRANGE and FAILED, attempting to reset the dump cycle after
testing).

1) This means I can't do full dumps as is, right?

2) Can I trick Amanda into backing up this by
   excluding certain big directories (say, Oracle dbases,
   which need explicit dumping, anyway), starting a cycle,
   and removing them from the exclusin list?

   I'm still screwed, as Amanda will do a full dump,
   periodically, which will fail, right?

So: is there some trick to it, or should I just bite the bullet,
buy a DDS4 drive, and set up a restrictive exclusion list?