Amanda-Users

RE: tapes looking their Amanda labels

2004-01-16 13:16:43
Subject: RE: tapes looking their Amanda labels
From: "Henson, George Mr JMLFDC" <George.Henson AT DET.AMEDD.ARMY DOT MIL>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:15:19 -0500

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 09:33:37AM -0500, Henson, George Mr
> JMLFDC wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I have a HP Sure Store E Silo (20 slots/2 LTO Gen 1 Drives)
> connected to my HP/UX 11i server with amanda-2.4.4 installed.
> I wrote an Amanda label to every tape in the silo. Last night
> my backup asked for Tape Daily000012. The changer (mtx)
> loaded the tape (which I had labeled Daily000012), but the
> tape had no Amanda label on it.
>

> Line breaks would be appreciated.

leave it to Outlook (my mail reader) to mess things up

> I see no indication that you have confirmed that
> there is or is not a label on the tape at this time;
> just that last nights run did not find it.
>
> Have you tried amtape to load the tape and then the
> amtape "current" command to show what label is there if any?

Yes I have tried the current command. It said the tape was not an amanda tape.

> Or have you tried doing a dd of a single 32K block at the
> start of the tape (that is where the label is located).

dd did not return any data from the head of the tape. 0 records

> Has Daily000012 ever been used by amanda before so that
> you are sure it once had a label?

No it has not been used. It was a new tape. I am sure there was a label on the media
because there I ran:

amtape <confname> reset
amtape <confname> show

before I started running Amanda in production at that time all tapes had a label

> Labels with long strings of repeating chars can be a
> problem to type.  Is the number of zeros consistant
> everywhere they should be (4 zeros in your message).

yes