Amanda-Users

operating amanda with IOmega disks

2004-01-11 08:10:28
Subject: operating amanda with IOmega disks
From: "Dr. Christoph Pospiech" <pospiech AT de.ibm DOT com>
To: amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:55:19 +0100
Hi all,

I have got amanda working successfully with 250 MB IOmega disks. To do so, I
wrote my own tape changer (which is actually an IOmega disk changer).

This tape/disk changer relies only on the mount point (i.e. the device
file:<my_mount_point>) as specified in /etc/amanda/<my_backup>/amanda.conf.
So it should work on other removable disk media as well, provided
- there is an entry in /etc/fstab enabling user amanda to just say "mount
<my_mount_point>"
- user amanda can write to a data sub directory after mount
- the eject command is executable by user amanda, unmounts <my_mount_point>
and either ejects the disk or gracefully exits (and lets a warm body do the
removal of the disk).

The tape changer checks the label of the disk given to him against the label
requested by amanda, and ejects the disk again if they don't match. Then it
is asking again for a disk with the right label.

I collected all this into a patch file "amanda_iomega.patch" to be applied
after untarring 2.4.4p1, which
- adds a new file amanda-2.4.4p1/changer-src/chg-iomega.pl.in
- updates amanda-2.4.4p1/configure.in
- updates amanda-2.4.4p1/changer-src/Makefile.am
- updates amanda-2.4.4p1/docs/TAPE.CHANGERS

I am suggesting to make this part of the general distribution and I am asking
whom should I send this patch file to.

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested using this patch, please send me email.
--

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best Regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Phone +49-621-469450, Fax: ...-469200, eMail: pospiech AT de.ibm DOT com
Mobile +49-171 765 5871
---- Please Note new Tel+FAX Number ----