Amanda-Users

operating amanda with IOmega disks ** contd.

2004-01-11 08:10:00
Subject: operating amanda with IOmega disks ** contd.
From: "Dr. Christoph Pospiech" <pospiech AT de.ibm DOT com>
To: amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:55:23 +0100
Hi all,

referrring to my previous posting, I have also written a shell script to be
executed as root, which prepares IOmega disks for the use with amanda. More
precisely, it
- formats the disk, checking for bad sectors
- mounts the disk and adds a data subdirectory
- makes user amanda owner of this data sub directory
- calls amlabel to label the disk
- unmounts and ejects the disk.

Unlike the changer script mentioned in my previous posting, this is not
generally usable as is, because it is relying on a couple of settings of
personal taste, such as
- IOmega disks are partitioned and the fourth primary partition is taking the
whole disk. So the disk is visible as /dev/sda4.
- I am preferring to use an ext2 filesystem on the disk (rather then a dos or
vfat file system)
- I am doing a chown of the data sub directory such that - depending on the
umask setting - only user amanda and root can see the files written to the
disk.

Writing this, I am not asking to add this for general distribution, or at most
hiding it in an appropriate example directory of the general distribution.

If anyone is interested to see this script, please send me email.
--

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best Regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Phone +49-621-469450, Fax: ...-469200, eMail: pospiech AT de.ibm DOT com
Mobile +49-171 765 5871
---- Please Note new Tel+FAX Number ----