Amanda-Users

Re: disk offline ?

2004-01-08 10:41:44
Subject: Re: disk offline ?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: osimon AT picturesafe DOT de, AMANDA <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:39:59 -0600
--On Thursday, January 08, 2004 15:51:21 +0100 Oliver Simon <osimon AT
picturesafe DOT de> wrote:

> Hi Group !
>
> Maybe anyone has a hint for me ?
> We have about 30 Servers, all UNIX. They are all backed up with amanda,
> which worked very good, until some problems occured.
>
> I defined a TestSet an tried to put in a new host. But I don´t get it to
> work. I want to do a dump of the following partitions, which are really
> partitions on the target-host.
>
> -<snip disklist>
> daisy           /               comp-hd-dump
> daisy           /boot           comp-hd-dump
> daisy           /opt            comp-hd-dump
> daisy           /usr            comp-hd-dump
> -</snip>
>
> If I put comp-hd-tar in here, all works fine ... !?
>
> -<snip report>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   daisy      /usr lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr offline on daisy?]
>   daisy      /opt lev 0 FAILED [disk /opt offline on daisy?]
>   daisy      /    lev 0 FAILED [disk / offline on daisy?]

Disk offline messages are generally a result of permissions
problems (if the disk were really offline you would have much
bigger problems).  Make sure your backup user is part of the
correct group to have access to the disk.  Try to 'su - backupuser'
and check if you can see those disks.
   Tar works because Aamnda uses a suid runtar wrapper script that
runs tar as root (although it isn't used by amcheck, so you would
still get errors from amcheck even though amdump would work).

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673