Amanda-Users

Re: Pre/Post-dump scripts?

2004-01-06 17:51:15
Subject: Re: Pre/Post-dump scripts?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "David Olbersen" <DOlbersen AT stbernard DOT com>, <pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:49:58 -0500
On Tuesday 06 January 2004 16:54, David Olbersen wrote:
>pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com wrote:
>> I need to back up a data base, but want to have it dump the tables
>> first.  I thought there was a way to have amdump trigger pre/post
>> dump processes natively.  Or, is the only way to wrap amdump in a
>> script of the same name, and effectively hide the real amdump
>> program?
>
>Why not have your database program dump to a backup directory before
> amanda comes in? If you've got the disk space this makes the most
> sense.
>
>Right now our databases (3 of them) all do a dump around 5:00 PM.
> Amanda comes in at 3:00 AM and nabs those files. No concurrency
> issue since the database dumping program deals with that.
>
>One thing to do though: if you're going to keep history, don't name
> your backups dbdump.1,  dbdump.2, dbdump.3, etc. When you rotate
> them out the timestamp on ALL of them change, so amanda has to tape
> all of them again. Using a slightly smarter system do produce
> dbdump.20040101, dbdump.20040102, dbdump.20040103, etc. makes
> things better.

I keep mine in a seperate directory, numbered by the tape.  So I strip
the number off the tape name and use that to delete the ones I'm
about to remake with the new contents of this current tape.  I also
do not have this directory as an entry in the disklist, theyby
getting around that problem even if I was rotating like logrotate
does it, even if I'm not.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: