Amanda-Users

RE: Pre/Post-dump scripts?

2004-01-06 16:55:41
Subject: RE: Pre/Post-dump scripts?
From: "David Olbersen" <DOlbersen AT stbernard DOT com>
To: <pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:54:37 -0800
pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com wrote:

> I need to back up a data base, but want to have it dump the tables
> first.  I thought there was a way to have amdump trigger pre/post
> dump processes natively.  Or, is the only way to wrap amdump in a
> script of the same name, and effectively hide the real amdump program?

Why not have your database program dump to a backup directory before amanda
comes in? If you've got the disk space this makes the most sense.

Right now our databases (3 of them) all do a dump around 5:00 PM. Amanda comes
in at 3:00 AM and nabs those files. No concurrency issue since the database
dumping program deals with that.

One thing to do though: if you're going to keep history, don't name your
backups dbdump.1,  dbdump.2, dbdump.3, etc. When you rotate them out the
timestamp on ALL of them change, so amanda has to tape all of them again. Using
a slightly smarter system do produce dbdump.20040101, dbdump.20040102,
dbdump.20040103, etc. makes things better.

--
David Olbersen
iGuard Engineer