Amanda-Users

Re: Pre/Post-dump scripts?

2004-01-06 17:45:38
Subject: Re: Pre/Post-dump scripts?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:44:24 -0500
On Tuesday 06 January 2004 16:47, pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I need to back up a data base, but want to have it dump the tables
>first.  I thought there was a way to have amdump trigger pre/post
>dump processes natively.  Or, is the only way to wrap amdump in a
>script of the same name, and effectively hide the real amdump
> program?

It not required that the amdump wrapper be named amdump.  Thats not
the least bit carved in stone.  All thats required is that it do the
wrappers the way you want them done. The script itself can be named
anything, and thats the script the amanda crontab entry runs.  I've
been doing it here for at least a year, with the idea of having the
config dir tree, and the index dir tree appended to the tape after
amdump itself is done and all the locks released so that it "gets it
all".  If I have to do a recovery, I just fsf 59 from a rewound tape,
and read all that back in giving me a full set of up2date as of that
tape, indexes, configs etc.  Thats 59 because I have 58 entries in my
disklist ATM.

They also take care of the housekeeping by getting rid of the older
files as the tapes are reused, and that currently is a kludge that
shows just how embarrasingly little I know about writing shell
scripts.

I suppose I should "purty up" them scripts, clean up the comments etc
and post them, but they are built for my system and would require
editing before turning them loose on somebody elses data.  I wouldn't
want to be responsible for somebodies cat getting the flu or their
life savings going up in smoke.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: