Amanda-Users

Re: Issue with tape changer configuration

2003-12-23 20:35:42
Subject: Re: Issue with tape changer configuration
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Henson, George Mr JMLFDC" <George.Henson AT DET.AMEDD.ARMY DOT MIL>, "Amanda List (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:32:42 -0500
On Tuesday 23 December 2003 13:57, Henson, George Mr JMLFDC wrote:
>All,
>
>We new to Amanda and are having an issue getting the bar code reader
> to work in our tape changer. We have an HP C7200 (2 LTO drives/20
> media slots) connected to an N class HP Server (HP/UX 11i
> amanda-2.4.4).
>
>The HP supplied utils (ltt tools) are able to read the barcode info
> from the tape silo, move the tapes, and inventory the robot with no
> known issues.
>
>I have tried to configure the chg-scsi interface with marginal
> success. If I turn off the barcode reader (havebarcode 0) then I
> can get Amanda to run backups and amtape seems to act normal. If I
> understand correctly, this also means the system must do a linear
> search for the media in the silo, instead of using the barcode
> info.
>
>Once I turn on the bar code reader (havebarcode 1) then I error
> messages from amtape and backups fail. When I try using the
> chg-scsi (chg-scsi -slot 3) command directly to move the media from
> slot n into the drive, it moves the media, but then reports an
> error:
>
>BarCode == 1 and enubarcode == 1
>
>with and exit status of 2

The above is I hope a typu?  enubarcode s/b emubarcode, but...  I
think they are mutually exclusive.

Also, at one point I recall reading somebodies notes, maybe Thomas
Hepper's, that because of a lack of access to barcode equipt
changers, the barcode stuff had been "turned off".  But I haven't
looked at that recently, and fixes could have come into the tree at
any time in the last 18 months without my taking real note of it.

Does anyone else recall the status of the barcode code?  My ageing
grey matter isn't very clear on this.

>If I issue the same command again it returns success.
>
>The other oddity I have noticed is if I issue the command to
> inventory the silo (chg-scsi -inventory) the label file grows very
> quickly to fill the disk.

Thats certainly a no-no. :(

>Thank you in advance,
>George Henson