Amanda-Users

Re: Full backup worked, incrementals fail

2003-12-23 03:02:40
Subject: Re: Full backup worked, incrementals fail
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 01:59:20 -0600

I'm guessing that was mentioned somewhere because it sounds vaguely familiar, I just can't place it. I just read the seciton on 'dump' in Unix Backup and Recovery and they didn't seem to mention that, but the error message and your comments had me leaning that way and the manpage removed all doubt (I'm on Redhat 9 linux):

files-to-dump is either a mountpoint of a filesystem or a list of files
     and directories to be backed up as a subset of a filesystem.  In the for-
     mer case, either the path to a mounted filesystem or the device of an
     unmounted filesystem can be used.  In the latter case, certain restric-
     tions are placed on the backup: -u is not allowed, the only dump level
     that is supported is -0 and all the files and directories must reside on
     the same filesystem.

Thanks,
Fran

You need to use GNU tar (be sure its 1.13.19 or greater) to do incrementals
of subdirectories.  Some dumps only do entire filesystems, and some
will let you do full dumps of a subdirectory, but I don't think any will
do incrementals of one.

frank