Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore problems, could not stat file

2003-12-12 14:00:41
Subject: Re: amrestore problems, could not stat file
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: jblackburn AT hirzel DOT com
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:58:10 -0600
--On Friday, December 12, 2003 12:38:26 -0500 jessica blackburn <jblackburn AT
hirzel DOT com> wrote:

> Here is my amanda.conf file:
>
> org "DailySet1"         # your organization name for reports
> mailto "amanda"         # space separated list of operators at your site
> dumpuser "amanda"       # the user to run dumps under
>
> inparallel 4            # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
> netusage  600 Kbps      # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per
> sec
>
> dumpcycle 2 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
> runspercycle 10         # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
> tapecycle 15 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
>                         # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week
> (just
>                         # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors that
>                         # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the
> full
>                         # backups performed at the beginning of the
> previous
>                         # cycle
>

> bumpsize 20 Mb          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 ->
> 2
> bumpdays 1              # minimum days at each level
> bumpmult 4              # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)
>
> etimeout 300            # number of seconds per filesystem for
> estimates.
>

> runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of
> amdump
> tpchanger "chg-multi"   # the tape-changer glue script
> tapedev "file:/backup/" # the no-rewind tape device to be used

I've never used the file driver in production, only played with it
a little, but I think  this needs to be a file, not a directory. Perhaps
someone else can clarify this. More comments way below.

> [...]
>> > here is what I start with:
>> >
>> > [root@hccweb RECOVER]# /usr/sbin/amrecover -C DailySet1 -s hccweb
>> > AMRECOVER Version 2.4.3. Contacting server on hccweb ...
>> > 220 hccweb AMANDA index server (2.4.3) ready.
>> > 200 Access OK
>> > Setting restore date to today (2003-12-11)
>> > 200 Working date set to 2003-12-11.
>> > 200 Config set to DailySet1.
>> > 200 Dump host set to hccweb.
>> > Trying disk / ...
>> > Trying disk rootfs ...
>> > Can't determine disk and mount point from $CWD '/var/tmp/RECOVER'
>> > amrecover> sethost hccweb
>> > 200 Dump host set to hccweb.
>> > amrecover> setdisk /etc
>> > Scanning /var/tmp...
>> >   RECOVER: skipping cruft directory, perhaps you should delete it.
>> > 200 Disk set to /etc.
>> > amrecover> add syslog.conf
>> > Added /syslog.conf
>> > amrecover> extract
>> >
>> > Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/ on host localhost.
>> > The following tapes are needed: DailySet109
>> >
>> > Restoring files into directory /var/tmp/RECOVER
>> > Continue [?/Y/n]? Y
>> >
>> > Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/ on host localhost.
>> > Load tape DailySet109 now
>> > Continue [?/Y/n/t]? Y
>> > EOF, check amidxtaped.debug file on localhost.
>> > amrecover: short block 0 bytes
>> > UNKNOWN file
>> > amrecover: Can't read file header
>> > extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
>> > Continue [?/Y/n]? n
>> > amrecover> exit
>> > 200 Good bye.
>> >
>> > When I check the amidxtaped debug file this is what I get:
>> >
>> > [root@hccweb amanda]# cat amidxtaped.20031211145718.debug
>> > amidxtaped: debug 1 pid 3715 ruid 33 euid 33: start at Thu Dec 11
>> > 14:57:18 2003
>> > amidxtaped: version 2.4.3
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: > SECURITY USER root
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: bsd security: remote host hccweb user root local
>> > user amanda
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: amandahosts security check passed
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: > 6
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: amrestore_nargs=6
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: > -h
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: > -p
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: > file:/file1
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: > ^hccweb$
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: > ^/etc$
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: > 20031210
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.000: Ready to execv amrestore with:
>> > path = /usr/sbin/amrestore
>> > argv[0] = "amrestore"
>> > argv[1] = "-h"
>> > argv[2] = "-p"
>> > argv[3] = "file:/file1"
>> > argv[4] = "^hccweb$"
>> > argv[5] = "^/etc$"
>> > argv[6] = "20031210"
>> > amrestore: could not stat file:/file1
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.004: amrestore terminated normally with status: 2
>> > amidxtaped: could not stat file:/file1
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.004: could not stat file:/file1
>> > amidxtaped: time 0.004: pid 3715 finish time Thu Dec 11 14:57:18 2003

I'm not sure where amrestore is pickup up the/file1 name from.  I think,
with the file driver, tapedev needs to be a link to the proper file (the
DailySet109 file in this case), which I understood to be a manual process
unless the changer scripts have now been updated to do it for you.  If
you can find where the /file1 path is being set, you should be able to
point it to the correct file.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673