Amanda-Users

Update: Getting the Drive to Work...

2003-12-09 08:33:46
Subject: Update: Getting the Drive to Work...
From: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT bible DOT edu>
To: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 08:33:18 -0500
Thanks to all that were of help last week. I've learned a lot about this device
from the group here. Problem is I still haven't got it working. Here is a status
report though. If you feel bored, feel free to point out any potential problem
or even non-standard setup.

I realized that I had set the drive to terminate rather then not terminate and
that I had set no term power so I've set term power on and turned off the
termination in the tape drive. My current setup is as follows

Card - Start of cable (auto terminate)
tape - Term Power, termination off
unpowered terminator ends the cable

I made the jumper switched on the tape while the machine was running when I
finished and plugged the power back in then brought aic7xxx and st modules back
up this is what I got from a script Jay wrote to fill the tape with data and
report.

# ./filltape
dd: writing to `/dev/nst0': Input/output error
285760+0 records in
4464+0 records out
dd: closing output file `/dev/nst0': Input/output error
Command exited with non-zero status 1
0.28user 1.74system 18:35.34elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
There are 1 copies on tape, rewind.
/dev/nst0: No such device or address

Than I rebooted to make sure the thing reset...

# bin/filltape
dd: opening `/dev/nst0': Permission denied
Command exited with non-zero status 1
0.00user 0.00system 0:00.02elapsed 21%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
There are 1 copies on tape, rewind.
/dev/nst0: No such file or directory

The jumpers on the back look like this:
Description          setting
--- --- --- --- --- --- ---
SCSI ID Bit2         on
SCSI ID Bit1         on
SCSI ID Bit0         off
Disable Compression  off
parity enabled       on
reserved             off
terminator enabled   off
terminator power     on

SCSI ID Settings above should be ID 6, but there are no other devices on the
system (except maybe the card itself if that has an ID). Is it safe for me to
set it to SCSI ID 0? I went ahead and did that and it booted up okay.

Here's the info from dmesg when the modules (aic7xxx and st) get loaded (at boot
time): scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.33
        <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter>
        aic7870: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=6, 16/253 SCBs

(scsi0:A:0): 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
  Vendor: COMPAQ    Model: SDT-9000          Rev: 4.05
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
st: Version 20020805, bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max init. bufs 4, s/g segs 16
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
svc: unknown version (3)
st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.

So I'm running another go of that filltape script and it seems to be doing
something this time. If it runs without crashing the server, I'll be in good
shape. If not, I guess I won't be and I'll be troubleshooting some more.

I also check the logs again, there still is nothing in there on this problem.

Thanks,
Josiah

--
System Administrator
Washington Bible College/Capital Bible Seminary