Amanda-Users

Re: Update: Getting the Drive to Work...

2003-12-09 10:07:20
Subject: Re: Update: Getting the Drive to Work...
From: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT bible DOT edu>
To: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:09:28 -0500
I have some progress to report...

# bin/filltape
6491712+0 records in
101433+0 records out
5.67user 33.95system 34:41.58elapsed 1%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
tape file 1 written

This resulted in the message on the screen that follows (it may have been there
before, but I didn't notice it until the screen blanked).

"Kernel Panic: for safety
In interrupt handler -- not syncing"

Googling around seems to suggest that this is a problem with the card/the rest
of the hardware, not the tape and that I might have to switch it with another
one. I've noticed that there is an aic7xxx_old driver. Maybe I should be using
that instead? Its an AHA2940/aic7870. Is there any issue with both having
parity checking on, is this an issue? Can the SDT-9000 provide the term power to
the terminator on the end of the cable or is that just for the built-in
terminator? These are some thoughts that are floating in my head. I also noticed
that the syncing is initialized by the card in the card's bios is it possible
that this is the source of the issue?

Thanks all,
Josiah

Josiah Ritchie scripted ::