Amanda-Users

Re: ignore certain log errors?

2003-12-04 12:12:18
Subject: Re: ignore certain log errors?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:09:14 -0500
On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:56:23AM -0500, Kurt Yoder wrote:

> Jon LaBadie said:
> >
> > And you would not want them in the the disklist file anyway.  If I
> > understand your need, you are seeing things like "file changed as
> > we backed it up" or "no such file" because it was deleted before
> > it was backed up.  You would want to ignore these in a more generic
> > way, not linked to a specific file or DLE.  The place to add dynamic
> > error message ignoring (if you really want to do it) is in the
> > dumptype.
> > So that all "comp-user-tar" DLE's would ignore it rather than
> > putting
> > the ignore pattern in a 10 DLE's.
>
> Actually, I *would* want to define them individually for each DLE. A
> "file changed as we read it" error might be OK for one DLE, but not
> for another. However, I agree that the capability to put it in the
> dump type would be useful.

I have a few dumptypes that are specific to one DLE, sometimes for a
specific exclude file.  Another 2 or three I thought would be for one DLE,
and later I found them useful for other DLE's too.

> >> function within the server code that examines the log messages
> >> coming back from the clients? Or maybe I could catch these
> >> messages
> >> on the server side right before they get written to the email
> >> report?
> >
> > As currently constructed, it is the clients responsibility to
> > examine
> > the messages and drop those that are not important desired.
>
> Hmm... guess I could add an "ignore file" on the client side. It
> could be the same type of thing as the exclude list file. It could
> reside in the base directory of the DLE being backed up and get read
> in by sendbackup.
>
> Would this work for smbclient backups too?

The amanda client is not the PC.  It is the unix box running smbclient.
That box is running sendbackup* just as if it were backing up local FS's.
As mentioned previously, that is where the ignore error messages list is used.
The list seems to contain some smbclient messages already.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)