Amanda-Users

Re: ignore certain log errors?

2003-12-04 11:06:07
Subject: Re: ignore certain log errors?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:02:55 -0500
On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 10:42:15AM -0500, Kurt Yoder wrote:

> Jon LaBadie said:
> > On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 03:37:07PM -0500, Kurt Yoder wrote:
> >> Hello list
> >>
> >> I do backups of directories containing files that sometimes change
> >> or disappear during backup. I don't want to add the directories or
> >> files to an exclude list, because I want to continue to attempt to
> >> back them up. But I also don't want errors regarding these files
> >> be reported back to me, because the backup failure isn't critical.
> >> Is there a way to construct an "ignore errors list" that is
> >> specific
> >> to each disklist entry?
> >
> > This approach would require a rebuild of amanda.
> >
> > There are files that contain an array of regular expression
> > patterns describing messages that can be safely ignored from
> > dump and tar and ???.  Some are commented out, or enclosed in
> > conditional "#if.../#endif" clauses.  And the list can be
> > extended.  I think, but am not certain, it is the sendbackup*
> > source files.
>
> Suppose I wanted to define the "log exclude" lines in the disklist
> file instead of hard-coding them into the client binary? Is there a

There is no way that I know of to define dynamically a set of
error messages to ignore.  Only the static one I mentioned above
in the sendbackup*.c files.

And you would not want them in the the disklist file anyway.  If I
understand your need, you are seeing things like "file changed as
we backed it up" or "no such file" because it was deleted before
it was backed up.  You would want to ignore these in a more generic
way, not linked to a specific file or DLE.  The place to add dynamic
error message ignoring (if you really want to do it) is in the dumptype.
So that all "comp-user-tar" DLE's would ignore it rather than putting
the ignore pattern in a 10 DLE's.

> function within the server code that examines the log messages
> coming back from the clients? Or maybe I could catch these messages
> on the server side right before they get written to the email
> report?

As currently constructed, it is the clients responsibility to examine
the messages and drop those that are not important desired.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)