Amanda-Users

Re: ignore certain log errors?

2003-12-04 11:59:13
Subject: Re: ignore certain log errors?
From: "Kurt Yoder" <kylist AT shcorp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:56:23 -0500 (EST)
Jon LaBadie said:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 10:42:15AM -0500, Kurt Yoder wrote:
>>
>> Jon LaBadie said:

>> change
>> or
>> files
>> critical.
>> >
>> > This approach would require a rebuild of amanda.
>> >
>> > There are files that contain an array of regular expression
>> > patterns describing messages that can be safely ignored from
>> > dump and tar and ???.  Some are commented out, or enclosed in
>> > conditional "#if.../#endif" clauses.  And the list can be
>> > extended.  I think, but am not certain, it is the sendbackup*
>> > source files.
>>
>> Suppose I wanted to define the "log exclude" lines in the disklist
>> file instead of hard-coding them into the client binary? Is there
>
> There is no way that I know of to define dynamically a set of
> error messages to ignore.  Only the static one I mentioned above
> in the sendbackup*.c files.

Well, if I'm going to be hacking code, I might as well add the
capability. Rebuilding the binary every time I want to add an
"ignore" entry would be a PITA.

> And you would not want them in the the disklist file anyway.  If I
> understand your need, you are seeing things like "file changed as
> we backed it up" or "no such file" because it was deleted before
> it was backed up.  You would want to ignore these in a more generic
> way, not linked to a specific file or DLE.  The place to add dynamic
> error message ignoring (if you really want to do it) is in the
> dumptype.
> So that all "comp-user-tar" DLE's would ignore it rather than
> putting
> the ignore pattern in a 10 DLE's.

Actually, I *would* want to define them individually for each DLE. A
"file changed as we read it" error might be OK for one DLE, but not
for another. However, I agree that the capability to put it in the
dump type would be useful.

>> function within the server code that examines the log messages
>> coming back from the clients? Or maybe I could catch these
>> messages
>> on the server side right before they get written to the email
>> report?
>
> As currently constructed, it is the clients responsibility to
> examine
> the messages and drop those that are not important desired.

Hmm... guess I could add an "ignore file" on the client side. It
could be the same type of thing as the exclude list file. It could
reside in the base directory of the DLE being backed up and get read
in by sendbackup.

Would this work for smbclient backups too?

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator