Amanda-Users

Re: Reusing tapes from a previous config

2003-12-01 17:16:29
Subject: Re: Reusing tapes from a previous config
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:14:19 -0500
On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 01:26:28PM -0800, S. Keel wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm setting up another config on a different server, and would like to
> reuse the tapes from the previous config.  I've started with a fresh
> setup, but have configured it very much the same as the previous server.
> The 'labelstr' is the same as the previous config.  But I get the
> following error:
>
> ERROR: /dev/nst0: reading label: Input/output error
>       (expecting a new tape)
>
> The tapes that I'm using were labeled from the previous server.  I plan to
> just overwrite them.  Do I need to amlabel -f the tapes to make the new
> config think they're new tapes?

But your new config does not have a list of the tapes it can use.
The file is named -- TaDa -- tapelist.

Relabel your tapes using the "-f" option of amlabel to force
it to override the check for an existing amanda label.

Before doing this, you may have to create an empty "tapelist" file.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)