Amanda-Users

Re: Memory requirements for Amanda Server

2003-11-24 13:22:27
Subject: Re: Memory requirements for Amanda Server
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:20:14 -0500
On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 13:02, Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> We are building an amanda backup server and have a question regarding
> memory requirements.  My guess is that Amanda is more processor
> intensive than memory intensive.  Is this correct?  For a dedicated
> backup server that won't be doing much of anything else, is 512MB of
> memory enough?

Bryan,
That would be plenty!  We're backing up 30-40 GB a night with a Debian
box and 128MB of RAM.  The CPU is more critical, especially if you
anticipate doing any server-side compression.  It will also help with
restores of compressed images.  Holding-disk space is the other area not
to skimp on.  :)

HTH,
Eric