Amanda-Users

Re: Spindle numbers in disklist

2003-11-06 17:40:57
Subject: Re: Spindle numbers in disklist
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:38:21 -0500
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:05:19PM +0100, Alexander Jolk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few file servers that I can only back up via NFS, for different
> reasons.  (One is a NAS, the other one is too old an OS for me to
> compile an amanda-client for.)  The obvious choice seemed to me to give
> them in the disklist as disks on the amanda server.  Which means, I've
> got lines along
>
> server        /net/nas/subdir1        comp-user-tar 1
> server        /net/nas/subdir2        comp-user-tar 1
> server        /net/old-os/subdir1     comp-user-tar 2
> server        /net/old-os/subdir2     comp-user-tar 2
>
> I thought that by giving different spindle numbers to these, amanda
> would back them up in parallel (barring holding disk contention of
> course).  But she doesn't, she tells me
> 6 dumpers idle  : client-constrained
>
> Did I understand this correctly, or is amanda correct?

Amanda is always right :)

The spindle number says any DLE's with the same 'arbitrary' number
(I think even if on different hosts) are on the same spindle.
To reduce thrashing on the same drive with multiple, simultaneous
backups, only one backup per spindle number is allowed at any time.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)