Amanda-Users

Re: Spindle numbers in disklist

2003-11-06 16:31:45
Subject: Re: Spindle numbers in disklist
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:30:26 -0500
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:05:19PM +0100, Alexander Jolk wrote:
> I thought that by giving different spindle numbers to [NFS-mounted DLEs],
> amanda
> would back them up in parallel (barring holding disk contention of
> course).

By default, Amanda will only back up one DLE *per client* at a
time.  You can fix that with the "maxdumps" parameter in
amanda.conf, either globally or per-dumptype.

"inparallel", by contrast, controls overall parallelism among the
different clients.  Before a new dump will start, among other
constraints, there have to be fewer than "inparallel" dumps
already running overall, *and* fewer than "maxdumps" dumps
running on the client in question.

The "client-constrained" state happens when either the "maxdumps"
condition or the DLEs-per-spindle condition (which you've already
dealt with) fails; if the "inparallel" condition fails, you get a
different state reported -- "no-dumpers" I think.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot