Amanda-Users

Re: Win32 client (was: Re: Amanda GUI)

2003-11-05 04:30:47
Subject: Re: Win32 client (was: Re: Amanda GUI)
From: JC Simonetti <simonetti AT echo DOT fr>
To: David Wolfskill <david AT egation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:26:37 +0100
[...]
> But in the testing so far, we're finding some odd results:
>
> * The actual program that the Win32 client uses to do the backups
>   appears to be an NT port of tar.  But trying to restore a file
>   made from that backup on a FreeBSD system generates a message saying
>   that the file does not look like a tar archive.

Sure... It's a Win32 tar archive...
A tar archive includes: data of the file and data related to the file: name,
rights... And rights are completely different between *nix and Windows...
Take your tar on a Windows box and untar it: it will be successful.

>   Also, "ls" showed each directory twice -- once as a directory; once as
>   a regular file.

Which ls? In amrecover?

> * Trying to use the "amrestore" on the Win32 side, the "ls" command
>   doesn't seem to work.

amrestore or amrecover? amrestore just dd's out the tape and, if you want, make
a grep on the output. There's no ls...

> At some point, I would like my employer to contribute some resources
> toward making this version of the amanda client solid enough to install
> from the directions and run.  This may include paying someone to
> implement "selfcheck," for example, as well as other parts of the Win32
> client that need attention.  Speaking only for myself, I would be less
> interested in a GUI for any of this, but that's just me.

When I tested the Win32 client, I needed a selfcheck. This was for production
systems, not workstations (so you may find my solution not useful). My
selfcheck was something like:
int main() {
  return 0;
}

Jean-Christian SIMONETTI    email: jean-christian.simonetti AT wanadoo DOT com
SysAdmin Wanadoo Portails   phone: (+33)493004911
Sophia Antipolis, France