Amanda-Users

Re: slow amanda performance on ONE system.

2003-11-04 22:45:49
Subject: Re: slow amanda performance on ONE system.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:43:24 -0500
On Tuesday 04 November 2003 10:57, Brian Cuttler wrote:
>Gene,
>
>Where do you work ? Don't know about Toomas' site but at mine the
>users complain that we forbid individual messages exceeding 20 Meg.
>A mailbox size limit ? Unthinkable.
>
>                                               Brian

I'm a tv broadcast engineer thats trying to retire, honest I am.  At
nearly 70 its time.  So some of the anecdotal stories I tell come
from the tv station.

But I have a 10 meg limit in my mailbox at verizon, and had a 5 meg
limit at my previous ISP.  That was in the TOS, but was never
enforced on me cause even if somebody sent me 20 megs of stuff, it
would be downloaded and dleted within the hour.

The only problem I've had with the 10 meg limit is that verizon has a
spam/viri killer that stores that crap in a diferent folder, but its
still charged aganst my 10 megs until I delete it.  Problem was, I
knew nothing about it, never having used their webmail interface,
which, when I finally did figure out I had to go cleanout the spam
trap, turned out to be such a bowl of spagetti code they had to lead
me around by the hand to do it.

>> >Alas. These days, when just about everybody sends mail in HTML
>> > format, it is customary to send HUGE .doc files back and forth
>> > and nobody ever deletes any old mail, it is not that uncommon.
>> >
>> >Just an example from our mail server (ca 300 users):
>> >
>> >root@data2:/data# du -h --max-depth=1 | grep MAIL
>> >21G     ./MAIL
>>
>> Good grief Toomas!  Can you not institute a mail box size limit,
>> about 10 megs maybe?
>>
>> >--
>> >Toomas Aas | toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee |
>> > http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/ * Why is there so much month
>> > left at the end of the money?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
>> Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
>> 99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
>> Yahoo.com attornies please note, additions to this message
>> by Gene Heskett are:
>> Copyright 2003 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: