Amanda-Users

Re: Problems backing up via Samba - again.

2003-11-02 18:14:08
Subject: Re: Problems backing up via Samba - again.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:12:52 -0500
On Sunday 02 November 2003 17:42, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:45:38PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> I just checked the archives and found that we had the same
>> problems back in April. We could not find any solution back then,
>> and now, as I have upgraded to Samba 3.0, the same problem
>> reoccurred with adding a new client.
>>
>> Short:
>>
>> Amanda 2.4.4p1, Samba 3.0, running on a standard Suse-8.1-kernel
>> (don´t know the version right now. AFAIK it ain´t the problem.)
>>
>> Some DLEs are Windows-NT-machines, having a particular application
>> installed, called ELDA (hello, my german friends ...).
>>
>> ELDA has one dll called dXSBar.dll. Whenever
>> Amanda/Samba/smbclient
>>
>> hits this file, it seems to hang up right there:
>> > FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>> >
>> > /-- backup     //WS_PLATZ08/C lev 0 STRANGE
>> > sendbackup: start [backup://WS_PLATZ08/C level 0]
>> > sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/bin/smbclient
>> > sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/smbclient -f... -
>> > sendbackup: info end
>> > ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
>> > milliseconds opening remote file \gkkdfu\dXSBar.dll (\gkkdfu\)
>> > ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
>> > milliseconds opening remote file \gkkdfu\E (\gkkdfu\)
>> > ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
>> > milliseconds opening remote file \gkkdfu\e (\gkkdfu\)
>> > ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
>> > milliseconds opening remote file \gkkdfu\E (\gkkdfu\)
>>
>> and it doesn´t backup any more files on that DLE.
>
>On my w2k samba backup I get a lot of "sharing violation"s.
>My understanding, and I'm on shakey ground here, is that
>windows does not allow a backup of a file that is already opened
>by another application even if you have appropriate permissions.

Heh, I can feel the rumbling and shaking ground from here Jon, but on
my last amiga, that lack of being able to open and backup a file that
was open at the time the backup was running, was the major reason I
wasn't able to recover from a disk failure.  The backup contained
none of the system specific config files that I needed, or had to
reinvent the flippin wheel to re-create in order to actually get it
to boot from a hard drive.  By then I had a linux box running and
figured it was time to retire that old war-horse and bring myself
into the 90's.  It seems as if Diavolo Pro silently skipped those
files with open locks on them.  I personally believe that is a major
screwup on the part of amigaos-3.1.  Worse, I don't believe its all
that uncommon either.

>Do you get some of the "sharing violation"s too, or might your
>error be the same as mine but with a different error message
>due to OS differences?
>
>Do copies of that file backup ok?
>If the original is renamed, and the copy put in its place,
>does it still backup ok and can it still be used by your app?
>If your app is not started can the file be backed up (make
>sure there is nothing starting a part of it at startup).

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: