Amanda-Users

Problems backing up via Samba - again.

2003-11-02 16:48:24
Subject: Problems backing up via Samba - again.
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:45:38 +0100
I just checked the archives and found that we had the same problems
back in April. We could not find any solution back then, and now, as I
have upgraded to Samba 3.0, the same problem reoccurred with adding a
new client.

Short:

Amanda 2.4.4p1, Samba 3.0, running on a standard Suse-8.1-kernel
(donŽt know the version right now. AFAIK it ainŽt the problem.)

Some DLEs are Windows-NT-machines, having a particular application
installed, called ELDA (hello, my german friends ...).

ELDA has one dll called dXSBar.dll. Whenever Amanda/Samba/smbclient
hits this file, it seems to hang up right there:

> FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
> /-- backup     //WS_PLATZ08/C lev 0 STRANGE
> sendbackup: start [backup://WS_PLATZ08/C level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/bin/smbclient
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/smbclient -f... -
> sendbackup: info end
> ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds opening
> remote file
> \gkkdfu\dXSBar.dll (\gkkdfu\)
> ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds opening
> remote file
> \gkkdfu\E (\gkkdfu\)
> ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds opening
> remote file
> \gkkdfu\e (\gkkdfu\)
> ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds opening
> remote file
> \gkkdfu\E (\gkkdfu\)

and it doesnŽt backup any more files on that DLE.

> ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds listing \W\*
> ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds opening
> remote file \_ (\)
> | tar: dumped 150 files and directories
> | Total bytes written: 38745600
> sendbackup: size 37838
> sendbackup: end
> \--------

> DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                        DUMPER STATS               TAPER STATS
> HOSTNAME     DISK        L   ORIG-KB    OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
> -------------------------- -------------------------------------- ------------
> backup       -_PLATZ08/C 0     37910     37910   --    1:19 482.5   0:08
> 4933.4

----

Ok, I excluded that one file and problems went away. ItŽs ok for me to
not have this file on tape because I can easily reinstall that app
from net or CD, but I would like to know what the reason is.

But I donŽt want to spend my one smbclient-exclude on that tiny file
(still havenŽt found the time to look for that
wrapper-exclude-thingy).

Also 2 other guys had the same problems (and I think they still have)
with other files that are maybe more important to be taped. Maybe the
two have upgraded to Samba, too, and can share their experiences (or
solutions).

Just to let you know:

- The DLE-fs (NTFS) was checked clean.
- The permission of the backup-user is ok (can fully access the file).

We think itŽs a Samba-problem because of several reasons, but I dare
to post it on amanda-users because I hope someone else using Amanda
has already found the solution.

Thank you all,
Stefan G. Weichinger

mailto:monitor AT oops.co DOT at