Amanda-Users

Re: Problems backing up via Samba - again.

2003-11-02 17:59:59
Subject: Re: Problems backing up via Samba - again.
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 23:58:41 +0100
Hi, Jon LaBadie,

on Sonntag, 02. November 2003 at 23:42 you wrote to amanda-users:

JL> On my w2k samba backup I get a lot of "sharing violation"s.
JL> My understanding, and I'm on shakey ground here, is that
JL> windows does not allow a backup of a file that is already opened
JL> by another application even if you have appropriate permissions.

JL> Do you get some of the "sharing violation"s too, or might your
JL> error be the same as mine but with a different error message
JL> due to OS differences?

No "sharing violation"s. Just the "server did not respond"s until the
end.

JL> Do copies of that file backup ok?
JL> If the original is renamed, and the copy put in its place,
JL> does it still backup ok and can it still be used by your app?
JL> If your app is not started can the file be backed up (make
JL> sure there is nothing starting a part of it at startup).

The app is definitely not started at backup-time. It´s kind of a
ftp-or-something-client that transfers data to a certain receiver. It is
started by users during normal worktime, not at backup-time/late at
night.

I don´t know if that particular file is open or loaded at that
time or if the os has not released lock on it because of some
problem/bug ... I am too less of a Windows-programmer to know that.

I can´t test for your questions right now. I have to get to the system
in question (NT-WS, no remote control ...).

thank you,
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger