Amanda-Users

Re: problems dumping certain filesystems

2003-09-30 11:14:18
Subject: Re: problems dumping certain filesystems
From: Marc Cuypers <mozilla AT mgvd DOT be>
To: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:07:46 +0200
Eric Siegerman wrote:

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:06:48PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:

Marc Cuypers wrote:

Found the problem. The firewall blocked communication between taper and dumper.

That's strange, because there is no immediate communication between
these two, as far as I know.

Driver is connected with a pipe to each dumper and to taper-reader.

I believe there is a dumper->taper connection, for direct-to-tape
dumps.  That's how I read docs/PORT.USAGE, anyway -- see the bits
on stream_server() and stream_client().  But both of those
processes run on the same host, so it's still hard to see how a
firewall could get between them.

Unless Amanda's running on the firewall machine itself -- which
I'd consider an unsafe idea anyway!

This is the case. Can you tell me why this is unsafe? (Nobody is allowed to connect from the outside)

Marc.