Amanda-Users

Re: problems dumping certain filesystems

2003-09-29 14:36:32
Subject: Re: problems dumping certain filesystems
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:26:25 -0400
On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:06:48PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Marc Cuypers wrote:
> > Found the problem.  The firewall blocked communication between taper and
> > dumper.
>
> That's strange, because there is no immediate communication between
> these two, as far as I know.
>
> Driver is connected with a pipe to each dumper and to taper-reader.

I believe there is a dumper->taper connection, for direct-to-tape
dumps.  That's how I read docs/PORT.USAGE, anyway -- see the bits
on stream_server() and stream_client().  But both of those
processes run on the same host, so it's still hard to see how a
firewall could get between them.

Unless Amanda's running on the firewall machine itself -- which
I'd consider an unsafe idea anyway!

> Strange is also that some partitions on that host got backed up, while
> others did not.

It looks as though the ones that succeeded all dumped via holding
disk, so in those cases there was indeed no need for dumpers and
taper to talk directly.

> there was no error msg whatsoever in the mail report, except that it
> simply failed).

Yeah, that was the part that got my attention too!  But then,
it's 2.4.2, so maybe that bug's been fixed.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot