Amanda-Users

Re: problems dumping certain filesystems

2003-09-29 06:12:19
Subject: Re: problems dumping certain filesystems
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Marc Cuypers <mozilla AT mgvd DOT be>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:06:48 +0200
Marc Cuypers wrote:

Found the problem. The firewall blocked communication between taper and dumper.

That's strange, because there is no immediate communication between
these two, as far as I know.

Driver is connected with a pipe to each dumper and to taper-reader.
There is also a taper-writer, which communicates with a pipe and a
shared memory segment with taper-reader.
There is no network connection where a firewall could interfere.
Unless I'm completely wrong of course.

Strange is also that some partitions on that host got backed up, while
others did not. Or do you mean there a timeout problem in the firewall
between client parts of amanda and the server?

I'm glad to be enlightened, it was very strange indeed (also because
there was no error msg whatsoever in the mail report, except that it
simply failed).