Amanda-Users

/dev/sg numbering (was: Re: Problem with chg-scsi on linux)

2003-09-25 14:02:40
Subject: /dev/sg numbering (was: Re: Problem with chg-scsi on linux)
From: Stephen Walton <stephen.walton AT csun DOT edu>
To: amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:24:00 -0700
On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 23:10, C.Scheeder wrote:
> Hi,
> Is your changer the only device showing up in /proc/scsi/scsi?
> or just the only device with a LUN of 1 ?

The former.  I have 3 SCSI devices, but the other two are disks with
only LUN=0.  The tape drive shows up last in the list from
/proc/scsi/scsi.  I suppose that's why the sg driver puts its other LUN
at /dev/sg3?

I'm just a bit curious, but I'm also worried about the number changing
and breaking Amanda if I add or remove SCSI devices from the system.  I
always tell people that one of the big advantages of Unix over Windows
is that devices don't shift from D: to E: to F: as you add disks, so
scripts and software still work.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton AT csun DOT edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge