Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover error

2003-09-25 13:17:11
Subject: Re: amrecover error
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:12:07 -0400
On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:53:22AM -0500, chris weisiger wrote:
> This is what is in amidxtaped.debug file:
>
> amidxtaped: debug 1 pid 16204 ruid 33 euid 33: start at Thu Sep 25
> argv[5] = "^/testData$"
> argv[6] = "20030925"
> amrestore: could not stat DailySet13

huh, why does it try to open a file called "DailySet13"?

> and this is how a copy of my amrecover session
>
> [root@bs1 amanda]# amrecover -C DailySet1 -s bs1.domain.name -t
> bs1.domain.name -d /dev/nst0
> AMRECOVER Version 2.4.3. Contacting server on bs1.domain.name ...
> 220 bs1 AMANDA index server (2.4.3) ready.
> 200 Access OK
> Setting restore date to today (2003-09-25)
> 200 Working date set to 2003-09-25.
> 200 Config set to DailySet1.
> 501 No index records for host: bs1. Invalid?
> Trying host bs1.domain.name ...
> 200 Dump host set to bs1.domain.name.
> Trying disk /var ...
> Trying disk hda6 ...
> Can't determine disk and mount point from $CWD '/var/lib/amanda'  <-- I
> dont understand this error here

Default disk is the directory you are working in when you run amrecover.
But that is not a DLE apparently.  BTW it will recover into there,
not where you think/want it to recover.  I.e. it will be recovered
relative to your CurrentWorkingDirectory (CDW), not relative to /.

> amrecover> help
> settape [host:][device|default] - select tape server and/or device

Note this

> amrecover> settape DailySet13
> Using tape "DailySet13" from server bs1.domain.name.

That is not what you did.  Is DailySet13 a host?  A tape device?
No, it is the label of the tape in the tape device on the server host.
But normally you do not know at this point what tape you will need.
Amrecover will tell you that later.

> amrecover> extract
>
> Extracting files using tape drive DailySet13 on host bs1.domain.name.

Whoops, there is it trying to use a tape drive named DailySet13 rather
than something like /dev/nst0 or /dev/rmt/0ln.

> The following tapes are needed: DailySet13

Here is where you find out what tapes are going to be needed.

> Restoring files into directory /testData

But under $CWD as "/"

> Continue [?/Y/n]? Y
>
> Extracting files using tape drive DailySet13 on host bs1.domain.name.
> Load tape DailySet13 now

Here is where you go to the closet and find the needed tapes.
You now load it/them and make sure they are rewound.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)