Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover error

2003-09-25 13:11:14
Subject: Re: amrecover error
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: chris weisiger <chrisw AT neill DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:07:13 -0500
--On Thursday, September 25, 2003 11:53:22 -0500 chris weisiger <chrisw AT
neill DOT net> wrote:

> This is what is in amidxtaped.debug file:
>
> amidxtaped: debug 1 pid 16204 ruid 33 euid 33: start at Thu Sep 25 12:15:38
> 2003
> amidxtaped: version 2.4.3
> amidxtaped: time 0.000: > SECURITY USER root
> amidxtaped: time 0.000: bsd security: remote host bs1.domain.name user root
> local user amanda
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: amandahosts security check passed
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: > 6
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: amrestore_nargs=6
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: > -h
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: > -p
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: > DailySet13
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: > ^bs1.domain.name$
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: > ^/testData$
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: > 20030925
> amidxtaped: time 0.001: Ready to execv amrestore with:
> path = /usr/sbin/amrestore
> argv[0] = "amrestore"
> argv[1] = "-h"
> argv[2] = "-p"
> argv[3] = "DailySet13"
> argv[4] = "^bs1.domain.name$"
> argv[5] = "^/testData$"
> argv[6] = "20030925"
> amrestore: could not stat DailySet13
> amidxtaped: time 0.007: amrestore terminated normally with status: 2
> amidxtaped: could not stat DailySet13
> amidxtaped: time 0.007: could not stat DailySet13
> amidxtaped: time 0.007: pid 16204 finish time Thu Sep 25 12:15:38 2003
>
> DailySet13 tape is in the drive

Was the tape rewound first (as it needs to be), or was it sitting
at the end after the last backup?  Looks like its not able to read
the header, probably because you're not at the begining of the tape.

> and this is how a copy of my amrecover session
>
> [root@bs1 amanda]# amrecover -C DailySet1 -s bs1.domain.name -t
> bs1.domain.name -d /dev/nst0
> AMRECOVER Version 2.4.3. Contacting server on bs1.domain.name ...
> 220 bs1 AMANDA index server (2.4.3) ready.
> 200 Access OK
> Setting restore date to today (2003-09-25)
> 200 Working date set to 2003-09-25.
> 200 Config set to DailySet1.
> 501 No index records for host: bs1. Invalid?
> Trying host bs1.domain.name ...
> 200 Dump host set to bs1.domain.name.
> Trying disk /var ...
> Trying disk hda6 ...
> Can't determine disk and mount point from $CWD '/var/lib/amanda'  <-- I dont
> understand this error here

Amanda defaults the DLE to recover to be the directory you're in
when you run it, so if your cwd is /var/lib/amanda, it looks for
a DLE that contains it.  If you're restoring to a different directory
(as you are, and is often a good idea, especially when testing), then
you just need to use the setdisk command to pick the DLE you want and
just ignore the warning.

Frank

> [...]
> cdx directory     - change cwd on virtual file system (regular expressions)
> clear             - clear extraction list
> delete path1 ...  - delete from extraction list (shell wildcards)
> deletex path1 ... - delete from extraction list (regular expressions)
> extract           - extract selected files from tapes
> exit
> help
> history           - show dump history of disk
> list [filename]   - show extraction list, optionally writing to file
> lcd directory     - change cwd on local file system
> ls                - list directory on virtual file system
> lpwd              - show cwd on local file system
> mode              - show the method used to extract SMB shares
> pwd               - show cwd on virtual file system
> quit
> listdisk [diskdevice] - list disks
> setdate {YYYY-MM-DD|--MM-DD|---DD} - set date of look
> setdisk diskname [mountpoint] - select disk on dump host
> sethost host      - select dump host
> settape [host:][device|default] - select tape server and/or device
> setmode smb|tar   - select the method used to extract SMB shares
>
> amrecover> setdisk /testData
> Scanning /data...
>   lost+found: skipping cruft directory, perhaps you should delete it.
> 200 Disk set to /testData.
> amrecover> sethost bs1.domain.name
> 200 Dump host set to bs1.domain.name.
> amrecover> settape DailySet13
> Using tape "DailySet13" from server bs1.domain.name.
> amrecover> cd /testData/
> /testData
> amrecover> ls
> 2003-09-25 .
> 2003-09-25 File1
> 2003-09-25 File2
> amrecover> add File*
> Added /File1
> Added /File2
> amrecover> extract
>
> Extracting files using tape drive DailySet13 on host bs1.domain.name.
> The following tapes are needed: DailySet13
>
> Restoring files into directory /testData
> Continue [?/Y/n]? Y
>
> Extracting files using tape drive DailySet13 on host bs1.domain.name.
> Load tape DailySet13 now
> Continue [?/Y/n/t]? Y
> EOF, check amidxtaped.debug file on bs1.domain.name.
> amrecover: short block 0 bytes
> UNKNOWN file
> amrecover: Can't read file header
> extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
> Continue [?/Y/n]? Y
> amrecover>
>

> Frank Smith wrote:
>
>> --On Thursday, September 25, 2003 10:44:58 -0500 chris weisiger <chrisw AT
>> neill DOT net> wrote:
>>

>>> here is the error i get when i go through the process of restoring something
>>>
>>> amrecover> setdisk /testData
>>>
>>> AGAIN: /data is a seperate partition that is used as the main holding disk
>>>
>>> Scanning /data...
>>>  lost+found: skipping cruft directory, perhaps you should delete it.
>>> 2003-09-25 File1

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673