Amanda-Users

Re: y didn't amanda report this as an error?

2003-09-24 19:28:58
Subject: Re: y didn't amanda report this as an error?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:25:59 -0400
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 05:30:59PM -0500, Deb Baddorf wrote:
> At 03:36 PM 9/24/2003 -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 01:54:49PM -0500, Deb Baddorf wrote:
> >> From a client  machine,  the admin sent me this:
> >>
> >> Sep 24 02:45:32 daesrv /kernel: pid 7638 (gzip), uid 2: exited on
> >signal 11
> >> (core dumped)
> >>
> >> The above message shows gzip crashed on daesrv last night.  It crashed
> >> because there is a hardware problem on that machine, but since it was
> >> probably part of an amanda backup that did not work as expected, I wanted
> >> to be sure amanda had reported something about it to you.   -client admin
> >>
> >> Amanda herself had reported a strange error in her mail report:
> >>
> >> daesrv.fna /usr lev 0 STRANGE
> >> ? sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]
> >
> >Note the problem was in making the index, not the backup.
>
> Welllll .... but the client was doing it's own compressing.   So when the
> gzipper failed,  the whole backup failed.   At only 33% finished.
> I just did a test amrestore  (true,  amrecover wouldn't touch it).
> Got about 1/3 the amount of data that ought to be on that disk.
> So I think it really did fail,   but registered it as a successful level 0
> backup.  :-(

Certainly sounds like a situation that amanda should not have
recorded as a valid level 0.  Has anyone else noted this?
There have been several reports showing failed pipes in
the index stream for various reasons.  I wonder if those also
were reported as valid dumps.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)