Amanda-Users

Re: Amverify error

2003-09-16 06:48:35
Subject: Re: Amverify error
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: dbarcelo AT datajunction DOT com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:46:43 +0200
David Barcelo wrote:

I get this error every night.  I have seen that several people have
been getting the same errors but I still don't quite understand why I

Several people?  I've never seen them :-)

am recieving them.  This looks like the culprit:

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error

It seems to me that your computer-cable-tape combination does not
work very reliable.  Maybe random bits get changed in the stream
(while writing and/or reading).
First thing I suspect is hardware, like the cable (or the number of
goats you sacrificed while connecting them).
Isn't there some related message in /var/{adm,log}/{messages,syslog} ?

I would not trust any backup until found out what's the cause.

First try to see if the basics of your hardware is capable of reading
writing without errors.  Do some torture test to see if you hardware
can write and read back a file many times without errors:

Generate a large file  (74 * 1000000 = about 70 Mbyte)

  nc localhost chargen | head -1000000 > dummyfile

Write this file to tape until end of tape

  n=0; while dd if=dummyfile of=/dev/nst0 bs=32k;
  do n=`expr $n + 1`;
  done; echo wrote $n files to tape

Notice the number (the last file is not complete on tape).
Then read back the tape, and verify if the file compares the same:

  mt rewind
  m=0; while dd if=/dev/nst0 of=- | cmp dummyfile -;
  do m=`expr $m + 1`;
  done; echo Read $m files from tape

And try this a few times (writing/reading).
And maybe with/without hardware compression.
And maybe with another pattern as dummyfile.
Then add "gzip" to the test and try again.