Amanda-Users

tape error ( write protected )

2003-09-16 06:26:45
Subject: tape error ( write protected )
From: Reidar Nordin <reidar AT tedk DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:20:55 +0200
Hi
I installed Amanda-2.4.4 on Red Hat Linux release 8.0. with the config:
dumpcycle 1 week, runspercycle 5, tapecycle 20 tapes
When i first started to use Amanda everything worked out fine, exept for
a few minor errors that I solved. After about 2-3 weeks I suddenly
recieved  tape errors (Amanda could not write to tape) saying:
[backup@example server]$ ammt status -f /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT PROTECTED

When I checked he tape was NOT protected... and I could not get it to
work (I even tryed new tapes)
I protected the tape and put it in the drive,  I ejected the tape and
removed the protection and put the tape in the drive a second time, then
it worked, saying:
[backup@example server]$ ammt status -f /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT

I ran the backup for about another week (doing the procedure obove for
allmost every second tape) but suddenly I recieved another error saying:

ERROR: /dev/nst0: reading label: Input/output error:
I then had to relabel the tapes for Amanda to be able to use the tapes,
and sometimes I had to both relabel the tape and do the procedure
mentioned above to couse Amanda said the tape was write protected even
it was'nt

Anyone have a clue for solving this "funny" problem ???