Amanda-Users

Re: tape error ( write protected )

2003-09-18 04:03:53
Subject: Re: tape error ( write protected )
From: Uwe Beger <Uwe.Beger AT labotest DOT com>
To: Reidar Nordin <reidar AT tedk DOT com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:05:52 +0200
At 14:19 16.09.2003, you wrote:
Hi!
When i dont use amanda it seems that the drive is working as i should, I
havent had any errors or "funny surprises" yet...
But when I start using Amanda and I acually want it to "roll on" I suddenly
get this "write protected errors"  and then ofcourse I cant erase och write
to the tape with any other commands/programs until I make the procedure
mentioned before ....

\\Reidar

Sorry, I think I can't help further.
I think (and I'm quite sure about this) that amanda doesn't use special techniques for accessing tape devices. It uses the normal tools of the OS, may be extensions of the standard OS (like mtx, which is in my case not part of Solaris). What I would recommend is to stress the tape drive with mt commands and dd. You may use Paul Bijnens explanation for this (16.9.2003, 12:46, Re: Amverify error). I expect problems with your setup?!

Regards, Uwe.