Amanda-Users

Re: configuration question

2003-09-12 09:14:35
Subject: Re: configuration question
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:11:49 -0400
On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 11:14, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> 2)  Send a full tapecycle's worth of tapes offsite.

I'd like to make a slight technical correction here-- I believe it
should be "a full dumpcycle's worth of tapes", as the tapecycle is the
total number of tapes in rotation.  Taking all your tapes offsite would
probably be counterproductive.  8^P

There may be an arbitrary number of dumpcycles within the tapecycle.
For example, I have a config where the tapecycle is 100 (10 magazines of
10 tapes each for an Exabyte library), and the dumpcycle is 10 days with
1 tape used per day.  So each magazine contains an entire dumpcycle.  I
keep one of these rotated offsite at all times.

Cheers,
Eric