Amanda-Users

Re: configuration question

2003-09-10 06:27:23
Subject: Re: configuration question
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Mark Le Noury <markl AT bbd.co DOT za>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:25:48 +0200
Mark Le Noury wrote:

I have set up amanda and it is running fine – I was using it to do a full dump of 3 fileservers every night. We are using an autoloader and the dump was running across 4 tapes and taking 15 hours to do.

We then decided it would be better to start incrementally dumping the servers during the week and doing level 0’s on Saturday.

Was that decision made because "we're used to this kind of scheduling"
or because "spreading the fulls over a complete cycle is not good".
If the latter, what do you think is wrong, or why is this not good enough.

I was just wondering, If I set my dumpcycle to 7, runspercycle to 6 and tapecycle to 45( I inc tape per day + 4 level 0’s per week * weeks in month) how is it that I would tell amanda to only run level 0’s on Saturday and incrementals during the week? As far as I can tell Amanda schedules all that kind of stuff according to her own feeling.

This would work out perfect, but, Amanda will insist on scheduling it
all herself.  And believe me, she does a good job doing that.

Actually, you probably need only 7 tapes to cover a complete full+incremental cycle if you let amanda do it her way: one tape each day, using the autoloader to provide the tapes in the weekends, while nobody is there to insert a fresh tape (maybe even less, depending on
the size of the incrementals and if you run only on weekdays).
Also the total run time each night will be much less than 15 hours;
I guess around 4-5 hours: the time to write one tape + some time for
the estimates.

Doing it the other way would need 4 + 6 tapes: one set of full
backups needing 4 tapes and each day 1 tape for incrementals.

I’m guessing I need to set up two configurations – one using strategy nofull and one using strategy noinc. What I really need to know is if that is really the best way to go – or if there is something else that could be done that might be easier to manage?

Amanda can be forced into such contortions using something like the
setup above, but I've tried to.
Another way is to run one config with noinc during week and do a
"amadmin force" for every machine before the weekend run.  (Never tried
that either.)